Skip to content
What to do if you find a pet
- Keep your distance unless you are sure you can safely handle the animal!
- DO NOT handle a sick or injured animal.
- If the animal is sick or injured and you reside in St. Louis City/County, call the Humane Society of Missouri at 314-647-4400. If you live outside of St. Louis City/County, call your local Animal Control immediately.
- If the animal is not sick or injured, take it to the nearest veterinarian, animal shelter or Animal Control to have it scanned for a microchip. If that is not possible, call Animal Control to come to your residence and scan for a chip.
- If the finder elects to keep the animal at their residence, call area shelters and leave a description. Owners should check display board and lost/found books at shelters.
- Place and frequently check lost/found ads in newspapers and online classifieds such as Craigslist
If you have found a pet and choose to keep it at your residence while looking for the owner, please submit an online report to our agencies.